Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise
Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise for sale (Kinixys spekii), sometimes known as the Speke’s Hinged Tortoise or the Speke’s African Tortoise, is an East African tortoise native to Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. It is named after the British adventurer John Hanning Speke.
Hingeback Speke’s Tortoises receive their name from the hinge-like moveable joint at the back of their shell, which allows them to close their shell tightly, protecting them from predators. This distinct adaption distinguishes it from other tortoise species.
The Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise has a characteristic high-domed shell that is usually dark brown or black in color. Raised, pyramid-shaped scutes distinguish the shell. The head and limbs are usually dark brown or black.
This species is predominantly herbivorous, feeding on a wide range of plant material such as grasses, leaves, flowers, and fruits. They are known to be opportunistic eaters, feeding on whatever vegetation is available in their environment.
Adult Speke’s Hingeback Tortoises are small to medium-sized, with adult males reaching lengths of 7 to 9 inches (18 to 23 cm) and females reaching lengths of 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30 cm).
Speke’s Hingeback Tortoises in captivity require a proper enclosure with plenty of area to roam and access to a varied diet of leafy greens, vegetables, and occasionally fruits. They also require a warm, humid environment with UVB lighting to promote their overall health and shell development.
It’s vital to remember that Speke’s Hingeback Tortoises have unique care needs, and captive breeding numbers are limited. It is critical to purchase them from trustworthy breeders or providers who prioritize their care and follow legal and ethical guidelines.
Before purchasing a Speke’s Hingeback Tortoise or any other tortoise species, make certain that you understand their special care requirements and that you can give them with a suitable and acceptable habitat for their well-being.
WE HAVE AMAZING SPEKE’S HINGEBACK TORTOISES FOR SALE. HERE ARE SOME HIGHLIGHTS:
- Kinixys spekii
- Field Collected
- Males And Females Available
- Approximately 5 – 7 Inches In Shell Length
- This Is A Smaller Species Of Tortoise That Generally Grows Up To 6 – 8 Inches In Shell Length
- Voracious Foragers Feeding On Dark Leafy Greens And Mixed Vegetables Daily
- Excellent Small Species For An Indoor Enclosure
- Originating From Kenya In A Wide Range Of Rocky And Tropical Habitats
- This Species Of Tortoise Has A Separated Section Of Its Carapace That Allows It To Close Its Back End
- With Proper Care And Setup These Can Live 20 – 30+ Years In Captivity